Warrandyte Community

Warrandyte History

parksIn 1851, gold was first discovered in Victoria, in Warrandyte, at Anderson’s Creek, by Louis Michel, the approximate location of the site is marked by a cairn on Fourth Hill, in the Warrandyte State Park While some mining did occur in the area throughout the peak of the gold rush, it wasn’t until the late 19th century, after gold discoveries reduced in the more popular regions, that the area around Warrandyte was intensively mined, particularly around Fourth Hill and Whipstick Gully. Some areas continued to be mined up until the 1960sThe Warrandyte Post Office opened on 1 August 1857.

In the early 20th century, Warrandyte became a popular destination for artists of the Heidelberg School, who sought subject matter further into the bush. This led to the development of an artists camp and small colony. Though not as substantial as the older colonies at Heidelberg and Box Hill, several artists, such as Clara Southern and Walter Withers, who were associated with the Heidelberg School, took up residence in Warrandyte. Others followed, including Penleigh Boyd, Harold Herbert and Jo Sweatman.

 Geography

map (200 x 171)Warrandyte is a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 24 km north-east of Melbourne’s Central Business District. Its local government area is the City of Manningham. At the 2011 Census, Warrandyte had a population of 5,520.

Warrandyte is situated on the southern banks of the Yarra River. The river and hills surrounding the town were once rich in gold and the ruins of mineshafts and tunnels can be found throughout the Warrandyte State Park, amongst other locations.

 

Community

The Warrandyte Festival, one of the last remaining volunteer-run festivals in Victoria, is held every year in mid March. Typically, the festival features a variety of attractions. Many stalls sell local produce or crafts and there are numerous historical exhibits.